Unix and user friendly systems

munck at mitre-bedford.ARPA munck at mitre-bedford.ARPA
Wed May 29 12:42:18 AEST 1985

> Ada??  You gotta be kidding..
>
> There is NO programming language that can force coders to write good
> code.  Good programming is possible in C and not even as difficult as
> in many Pascal-based languages.  Ditto for bad programming.

Read my lips.  I said

>>    In my opinion, the language that best supports writing of superbly
>> human-readable programs at no significant expense in machine
>> efficiency is Ada.  I doubt that anyone will challenge that...

It may be possible in C, but it is both difficult and rare.  I'd be hard
put to find a significant piece of code in UNIX that I'd call a good
example of easy-to-read code.  Any nominations from the community?
              -- Bob Munck