Problems with the 7300

Ross M. Greenberg greenber at timeinc.UUCP
Tue May 14 00:26:40 AEST 1985

In article <1176 at cbosgd.UUCP> mark at cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>The UNIX PC is clearly intended as a single user machine.  It runs
>UNIX, so in theory you can have more than one user.  They even provide
>a way to plug in another user or two.  But this is also true of the IBM XT
>running any of the UNIX ports, yet you would never claim the XT is
>intended as a multi-user machine.  So the time it takes 2 users to log in
>on a stripped model is hardly an important benchmark.

No, Mark.  AT&T brought these machines in for a demo. They were the
ones who said "the machine in the corner is running UNIX.  The one that
*we* set up multi-user."  So, at least for this demo that *they* ran,
it was intended as a multi-user machine.  And please recall that
the IBM-XT UNIX was a third party UNIX.  It (the IBM-XT) was not
presented as a "UNIX PC".  The 7300 is.  And it doesn't (in my opinion)
live up to it.  I think that it will be a great machine, and it looks real
pretty.  But it doesn't run UNIX in a fashion that *I* would be
comfortable with.  So it looks like I'll have to wait until something
faster than the Fortune 32:16 comes out  from AT&T.

<Still collecting those 7300 bugs and fixes, folks...>

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

	Timeinc probably wouldn't acknowledge my existence, and has
	opinions of its own.  I highly doubt that they would make me
	their spokesperson.
------
"If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other,
 there better be no trade. A trade by which one gains and the other
 loses is a fraud."         --- Dagny Taggert