rts/cts on 3b2 tty ports

Robert Viduya robert at gitpyr.UUCP
Fri May 17 03:39:09 AEST 1985

> >We just got a few 3B2s donated from AT&T and I'm trying to get the tty ports
> >to talk to an Ungermann-Bass network using hardware flow-control.
>
> That's gross. You should use XON/XOFF for flow control.

Unfortunately, using XON/XOFF for flow control means that the user has to
go through all sorts of contortions to send an ^S or ^Q untranslated across
the network.

Besides, in my opinion, flow control should be as transparent as possible to
the data being transmitted.  It has nothing to do with the content of the
data.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert