2.9BSD Termination codes (kafka)

John Woods john at x.UUCP
Sat May 25 05:53:18 AEST 1985

> I was trying to get the recently posted "insults" program running
> on my 11/70, and when the makefile tried "./kafka <whatever>.k"
> I get the message "*** Termination code 138".  Whence comes this
> message?  I grepped through the known universe (kernel, libraries,
> include, everywhere I could think of) and couldn't even find the
> source of this message, let alone what "138" means.  Any clues
> would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Ah, you too.  I thought I was the only one.

First, the message is from make.  kafka returned an exit code of 138, which
means: bus error (10) + core dumped (128).  See EXIT(2) and WAIT(2) for
further enlightenment.

On the MITCCC 11/70, kafka seems to have lots of wild pointer references.
So far, it doesn't seem to be int/long confusion, nor does it seem to be
long names (though I had to change kn_nodenumber to kn_nodnumber to make
V7 cc happy).  If anyone else gets kafka to run on an 11, I'd be interested
in knowing what was wrong (and I'll mention it in net.sources.bugs if I
get it working, too).
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc at MIT-XX.ARPA

"MU" said the Sacred Chao...