Saving rotated jokes unrotated

zben at umd5.UUCP zben at umd5.UUCP
Fri May 24 01:20:25 AEST 1985

This is an easier way:

1. Make yourself a shell script named "rot" with this line in it:

   tr a-zA-Z n-za-mN-ZA-M

2. Don't forget to make it executable with: chmod +x rot

3. In the "rn" program you can give commands like:

   | /u/zben/rot | pr | lpr             (Makes a printed copy)
   | /u/zben/rot >/u/zben/savefile      (Saves it in file)

Many other news reading programs have similar exits for invoking pipes.
On this version I had to give the full path name of the filter.  Please
remember to substitute the name of the directory where your filter lives
for the "/u/zben" above.  The full name of the savefile was given above
because rn changes directories a lot, and I don't trust it.

Now, as an exercise to the reader, and to satisfy the requirements of
this group that postings need include a joke, x out and create the filter
and try to decode the remainder of this posting:

N jbzna vf zneevrq, naq fur unf svir puvyqera.  Ure uhfonaq hasbeghangryl
qvrf lbhat, fb fur erzneevrf naq unf svir zber puvyqera.  Guvf uhfonaq nyfb
qvrf fhqqrayl, fb fur lrg ntnva erzneevrf naq unf svir zber puvyqera.

Svanyyl fur tvirf hc gur tubfg.  Ng ure shareny n snzvyl zrzore jnf urneq
gb erznex: "Jryy, svanyyl gurl ner gbtrgure!"  Na baybbxre, urnevat guvf
erznex, nfxf: "Qb lbh zrna jvgu ure svefg uhfonaq, ure frpbaq uhfonaq, be
ure guveq uhfonaq?".  Gur snzvyl zrzore ercyvrf:

"Ab, fvyyl, ure yrtf!"
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben at umd2.ARPA