rts/cts - a tutorial on flow control

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon May 27 04:58:36 AEST 1985

> The "negative" flow-control methods work (XOFF/XON) work satisfactorily
> if sufficient space is allocated for overrun.

True, but unfortunately, the amount of space that is sufficient has
recently gone way up...

> For example, (assuming 9600 Baud transmission)

And no end-to-end network delays!

> the receiver can allocate a 400 byte buffer, sending XOFF when there
> are 100 bytes unprocessed bytes in the terminal input buffer.  This
> gives the host about 600 msec. to stop output.

That's assuming the XOFF makes it from the stopper to the stoppee
without delay; untrue in general, now.  (If you gave yourself sufficient
buffering to handle up to 30 seconds of delay, I suppose I'd call
that sufficient: no one would want to wait longer for echo . . . .)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland