Shell output directed to program (HELP)

Alexis Dimitriadis alexis at reed.UUCP
Tue May 21 10:59:03 AEST 1985

> > ... I need to know if there is a way
> > to pass strings input to this program to the shell
> > for execution (such as pwd or cd etc.) and have
> > the resulting output from the shell directed back
> > to the program ...
>
> Sure, but you have to be careful.  Trying to attach pipes
> for both input & output from the subshell is too hard,
> since the possibility of deadlock exists.  [...]

  Also, this will break may programs that modify their behavior when their
input or output is/is not a terminal.  (e.g. csh, ls, more, etc.).
  If your system has ptys, (pseudo-ttys) you should use them. They appear
as /dev/pty* if you have them.

  As soon as I get a full time job, the opinions expressed above
will attach themselves to my employer, who will never be rid of
them again.

             alexis @ reed

	         ...teneron! \
...seismo!ihnp4! - tektronix! - reed.UUCP
     ...decvax! /