root fsck dups

Doug Gladden CD-SP dgladden at wsmr08.ARPA
Sun May 19 03:53:50 AEST 1985

Recently, we've been plagued with our nightly fsck reporting two inodes
claiming to own the same duplicate block on the root file system on several of
our BBN C70 System V machines with 167M Ampex drives.

/etc/wtmp or even worse /etc/passwd are often involved, resulting in a lot of
effort in cleaning up the filesystem and recreating the files.

Dups rarely occur on /usr or /tmp and seem to appear on / during peak periods.

Can an application program or broken utility like passwd create this mess or
must this result from a kernel or hardware failure?