Q's on: System V /etc/init....

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sun Nov 24 07:00:20 AEST 1985

> > One of the more interesting innovations to recent Unix has been the
> > new scheme by which /etc/init brings up terminals.  (I first saw it
> > in System V and I don't know if it was in System III, so pardon me
> > if I term it a "System V" enhancement.)
>
> It actually was in S3; we used it at CCI to run a variant version of
> "getty"/"login" which had a full-screen user interface that was the same as
> the one provided by our office automation system.  4.3BSD will (unless they
> take it out) have a similar facility.

Speaking of which... I am on S3 and have a need to write a replacement for
getty... without source.  What does a child of init have to do to make the
system happy?  I was able to dope it out in V7 (actually Xenix), but I can
make neither hide nor tail of S3 -- my attempts uniformly were failures.
(My most successful one worked fine iff you didn't want to use a program
which opened /dev/tty -- maybe I was missing a setpgrp()?)

be used.  I will post a summary of responses.  DON'T POST YOUR RESPONSE.

Thanks in advance,
--Brandon
--
"This civilization, too, must be allowed to fall..."

			Brandon S. Allbery

ncoast!allbery at Case.CSNet (ncoast!allbery%Case.CSNet at CSNet-Relay.ARPA)
..decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa -- maybe ..genrad!mit-eddie!futura!ncoast!allbery
6615 Center St., Mentor, OH 44060 (I moved) --Phone: +01 216 974 9210
CIS 74106,1032 -- MCI MAIL BALLBERY (WARNING: I am only a part-time denizen...)
		    ncoast is dead, long live ncoast!