crontab: Sunday=7, not 0.

Anders Andersson andersa at kuling.UUCP
Fri Nov 29 12:40:27 AEST 1985

In article <883 at nmtvax.UUCP> overlord at nmtvax.UUCP (Alan Kerr) writes:
>>>this should be put straight once and for all. It is now over 15
>>>years since ISO decided that Monday is the first day of the
>>>week. Hence, we can number the days 0-6 or 1-7, but Monday
>>>should be first!

>(the weekEND) at the end of the week.  Just because most US calandars start
>with sunday doesn't mean they all do!

So THAT is the reason the numerical representation for the weekdays
was "inappropriately" defined from the very beginning!? Oh well...

Now as we seem to agree about facts, can we decide whether there is
reason enough to *change* the original definition in an existing
operating system, as was suggested in the first place? If there is
any risk for incompatibility with earlier software, I'm afraid that
would do more harm than good, but perhaps some systems development
expert could make out the details?
--
Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 183170