International Unix

Peter J Story pete at kvvax4.UUCP
Fri Nov 1 22:01:48 AEST 1985

In article <> sambo at ukma.UUCP (Father of micro-ln) writes:
  >that in some language, the order of the letters might be "a b c ...",
  >whereas in some other language, the order might be "a c b ..."?
  >What pair of languages is like this?
Norwegian, Swedish which have three extra characters which you can't
represent on your terminal but on mine use the ASCII positions {|}
depending on the language.  In Norwegian it is as given above.  Swedish is
}{|.  And then there are Danish and Finnish, which I don't know offhand.

  >Also, in which language is some single character considered as two
How about the German character that looks like a beta, which is "ss" in the
nearest transliteration.  Or u with an umlaut diacritical mark, which at
least in some historical texts must sort as if it were ue.  Unless someone
in Germany corrects my too old knowledge.
--
Pete Story	      {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!kvport!kvvax4!pete
A/S Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk, PO Box 25, N3601 Kongsberg, Norway