Putting in newlines using sed

michael b maxwell michaelm at bcsaic.UUCP
Fri Nov 22 04:27:02 AEST 1985

Thanks to all those who pointed out that I needed *two* backslashes in
C-shell to hide the linefeed (but only one in Bourne shell).  (I should
have mentioned that I was using C-shell in the original posting; I didn't
realize it would make a difference to this problem!)

Incidently, I can hide the linefeed in C-shell with two backslashes so
that the ^J shows up on the same line; but I can't do that in vi...  There
the ^J shows up as a linefeed. Not that it makes much difference, it's
just not as "pretty."  (i.e. messes up the clarity of the program).
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center