Q's on: System V /etc/init....

Bruce Karsh karsh at geowhiz.UUCP
Wed Nov 20 14:21:28 AEST 1985

In article <331 at ncr-sd.UUCP> greg at ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) writes:

>What has happened is that /etc/init has become a superdaemon, capable
>of keeping track of other processes (not just login processes), starting
>and stopping them based upon a control file and a settable run level.
>Mats Wichmann (below) identifies some flaws and Guy Harris tries to
>offer some help (but may have missed the point), but I think the real
>flaw was that the \only/ product in System V that can be run under
>/etc/init is getty.  There are at least three other standard products
>that could have been trivially modified to run under the superdaemon
>(cron, lpsched, and errdemon); this would have made them more visible,
>more controllable, and more useful, and it would have provided a model
>for other daemons to follow.  And it would have made the system easier
>to control and manage.

  This has been done on Masscomp systems.  Here are some lines from
our /etc/inittab file:

1:xx::/etc/getty console ! 0
1:up:c:/etc/update
2:cr:c:/etc/cron
2:up:c:/etc/update
2:nd::/etc/net/netd 2>/usr/adm/netd.log
2:wd::/etc/net/rwhod 2>/usr/adm/rwhod.log
2:00:c:/usr/local/holdline /dev/tty0
2:18:c:/usr1/karsh/D/LOCAL/getty-b tty18 Y
--

Bruce Karsh
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics