sendmail

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Sun Nov 17 09:46:05 AEST 1985

In article <2743 at brl-tgr.ARPA> bader at b.psy.cmu.edu (miles bader) writes:
>The sendmail I have has an annoying habit of give the message
> Cannot open /dev/console: Bad file number

The Ultrix 1.1 (and prob'ly 1.0) distribution does this.  The first
reason is that the syslog.c subroutine is compiled -DEBUG, for no
apparent reason; this inhibits opening /dev/console if one cannot
find localhost in /etc/hosts.  However, you don't need source code
to fix this.  Go put back into /etc/hosts the line that was originally
there -- I think:
	127.1	localhost myname
replacing "myname" with your local name.  Then make sure your real
hosts line is above this line.  (Best performance from sendmail
comes from making these ll 2 and 1 respectively in /etc/hosts.)
Also, in /etc/networks, put:
	127	loopback	loop
PLEASE check the Ultrix Installation Manual, as I am not sure these
are absolutely correct.

To make sure these changes are propagated the next time your netadmin
user updates the /etc/hosts, put the 2 lines in /etc/hosts.local and
the 1 line in /etc/networks.local.  Again, check me with the UIM.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}