PC/IX views?

peterb at pbear.UUCP peterb at pbear.UUCP
Wed Nov 27 13:33:00 AEST 1985

/* Written  3:41 pm  Nov 24, 1985 by utastro!nather in pbear:net.unix */
>> I have now discovered PC/IX.
>> Is it even worth considering?
>> John Antypas
>
>No.  As a 4.2bsd user, I found it both slow and ugly.  Xenix is much
>better, though not without its problems.

What are you running 4.2bsd on, an XT??? I doubt it.

Enough of the irritability, now for the review:

	I have been using PC/IX on my XT, and for what it costs, you get
a complete System III implementation. It runs well and contains excellent
documentation. It would seem slow(when you compare it to a VAX :-), but the
compiler produces better code that XENIX did. The only complaint I have had
is that my notes system eats up my disk space. It churns out about 285
drystomes in real time in a pseudo-quiesent system.

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|decvax}!ima}!pbear!peterb