Sv.2 suid bits

geoff at ISM780B.UUCP geoff at ISM780B.UUCP
Thu Nov 28 03:09:00 AEST 1985

>On SV.2 (3b2, pc7300 (Safari)) suid bits do not work on shell scripts.  Am
>I just silly or don't I remember them working on 2 other UN*X-ish (TNIX,
>XENIX) environments?

Suid bits don't work on shell scripts on Sys 3 or Sys 5, I suppose this is
for security reasons.  As far as I know, they don't work on any AT&T UNIX.
I don't know about other UNIX-ISH systems, but most of them are BSD
derived, so I wouldn't be surprized.

(For those net-landers who are confused, the Safari is also known as
the 6300PLUS, and has roughly the same relationship to the 6300
as the IBM/PC/AT has to the XT.)

  Geoffrey Kimbrough {decvax!vortex || ihnp4!allegra!ima}!ism780!geoff

"As usual, if you or any of your opinions are caught or killed, the
secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions".