Red Ryder and VI

David Berry berry at tolerant.UUCP
Wed Nov 27 07:56:09 AEST 1985

> I have been trying to communicate from my Mac at home with the UNIX 4.2
> system where I work.  I am using Red Ryder.  My Mac has 128K, and the modem
> is a 1200 baud Volksmodem.  I can login correctly, and evn
> begin a vi session.  The trouble is that some of the vi commands do not
> work properly with Red Ryder.  Using the command key as Control, I try to
> invoke various keystroke sequences, but unexpected results sometimes occur.
> The same thing happens with Red.
>
> Is anybody familiar with this problem?  Are the bugs in Red Ryder
> perhaps the culprit?  Finally, would I be better off using MacTerminal?

So far with my copy of Red Ryder (6.2) I have made the following decisions:

	1.  Don't use the vt100 emulation.  Use vt52 instead.  The vt100
		emulation loops forever when you send it a Delete Line.

	2.  Tabs are incorrectly implemented in all emulations.  Use
		stty -tabs and everything should work.

	3.  It is disappointing that it doesn't talk to mac{put,get}.
		I do, however, have a public domain implementation of
		xmodem that kind of works.  (Anybody out there have
		a version that really works with Red Ryder, or source
		for Kermit for a 4.2 BSD system?)

Regardless of these draw backs I find it an extremely well done package
for the price and would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a terminal
emulation package for the mac.  Especially, if they don't have one of the
copies of MacTerminal that are floating around.
Other than
--

	David W. Berry
	...!ucbvax!tolerant!berry

	[Don't shoot the Tolerant Systems, I'm just the consultant]