Looks like AT&T is leaving DEC owners in the cold!

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Tue Nov 26 01:28:42 AEST 1985

> In article <2073 at aecom.UUCP>, naftoli at aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
> > The upcoming releases of System V are no longer supporting DEC equipment.
> > This includes System V release 2.1 (prerelease) and System V
> > release 3.  AT&T is obviously trying to force DEC people to
> > buy AT&T equipment.

All it indicates to me is that AT&T feels it can't adequately
support another vendor's product line.  Considering all the
past complaints about lack of support for the latest DEC
peripherals, that seems correct.  Clearly the best outfit to
support a product line is its vendor.

My main concern is that AT&T will pay even less attention to
the universality of UNIX software than they have in the past.
I guess the vendors will have to pund on them about this.

> This is pretty ludicrous, given that the largest purchaser of
> DEC hardware in the world (with the exception of DoD) has
> been AT&T Bell Labs.  To run, you guessed it, AT&T UNIX.

This does bring up the interesting question of what the AT&T
VAX sites are going to do for future UNIXes.

> > Does anyone know if DEC will be supporting System V?

There is evidence that DEC's Ultrix group is accommodating
System V in one way or another.  I expect that future 4.nBSD
systems will move somewhat in the System V direction anyway,
so this may become a non-issue.