experience with Bridge Ethertips anyone?

Andrew Shore shore at adobe.UUCP
Sat Nov 9 05:33:59 AEST 1985

Anyone have any experience with CS/100 Communications
Servers (ethertips) from Bridge Communications Inc.?

We are thinking of getting them and have a few questions.  Our
environment is 4.2bsd VAXen and SUNs and a few other odd-balls
on a 3Com Ethernet.  Everything we want to talk to with the
Bridge box speaks TCP/IP (telnet).

Any comments on reliability, service, ease of use, horror stories,
etc., would be appreciated.

We have particular questions about:
 * terminal type & termcap establishment

 * flow control (disabling it for use with Gosling Emacs)

 * hanging other peripherals (e.g., Apple LaserWriters)
   off of the box and establishing a connection to them
   from a host (e.g., VAX running lpd/TranScript).
   This requires two-way communication, end-to-end flow
   control, plus the ability to flush and ignore the
   current state of flow control when necessary
   (e.g. TIOCFLUSH & TIOCSTART).  Does such a beast
   look like a vanilla tty to the VAX, or are there other
   things (e.g., new IOCTLs) I have to know about?

Thanks in advance,
--Andy Shore
  Adobe Systems Incorporated
  {decwrl, glacier, sun, apple}!adobe!shore