Standards query

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Fri Nov 29 11:39:56 AEST 1985

> What group is working on Unix standards, and how do I contact them?  Is there
> a recent article describing current progress?

The P1003 working group of the Operating System Standards Subcommittee
of the Technical Committee on Operating Systems of the IEEE Computer
Society.  Their draft document is entitled "Portable Operating System
Environment" and is available electronically from several sites.  The
net news group mod.std.unix contains relevant discussions.

P1003 has proceeded from the point that the /usr/group Standards
Committee left off.  It is hoped that the final document will
(after a trial use period) become an ANSI and eventually ISO
standard.

For more information, contact
	James Isaak, Chairman, IEEE P1003 Working Group
	Charles River Data Systems
	983 Concord St.
	Framingham, MA 01701
	decvax!frog!jim