S and M4

Bill Poser POSER at su-csli.arpa
Tue Nov 26 18:36:04 AEST 1985

	I just tried to install a new (1984) version of S on an 11/750
running 4.2BSD. The installation procedure aborted when it ran a test to
see if the version of the M4 macro processor was the one it wanted.
The test checks whether M4 understands an argument designator of the
form $*. None of the machines that I have tried around here have an M4
that knows about $*, nor have I found it in any documentation. All of the
manuals say that argument designators are of the form $n, n an integer.
Does anyone know what's going on here and how I might follow SYSGEN's
suggestion that I get a new version of M4?
-------