Sundays

Andrew Scott Beals bandy at lll-crg.ARpA
Fri Nov 29 00:43:34 AEST 1985

In article <262 at ho95e.UUCP> wcs at ho95e.UUCP (Bill Stewart ( 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs )) writes:
>In article <174 at watmath.UUCP> ddyment at watmath.UUCP (Doug Dyment) writes:
>>> For several hundred years sunday has been the first day of the
>>>week. Look at any calandar[sic].
>> For several thousand years Sunday has been the last day of the
>>week.  Look at any bible.
>I get the impression that renumbering the days of the week so they
>start with Monday is a recent European rationalization of "Sunday is
>our Sabbath so it must be the 7th day of the week"; customary usage in
>the USA is that the week starts on Sunday, whereas I remember learning
>the days of the week in French as "<monday>, <tuesday>..." (Sorry, but I
>never could spell them)

If I remember correctly, the National Bureau of Standards published
a standard some time ago that calendars should be marked with Monday
as the first day of the week.
--
There once was a fellow named Moorehead,
Who had an affair with a warhead.

andy beals - bandy at lll-crg.arpa - {seismo,ihnp4!sun,dual}!lll-crg!bandy