Bourne shell modifications, past and future (long)

rob robertson rob at nitrex.UUCP
Sun Nov 24 14:22:45 AEST 1985

> I think the most glaring difference between csh aliasing and
> sys5 bourne shell functions is that the latter looks up builtins first.
> This means you can't define functions that clash with shell commands.
> On the other hand shell functions have a MUCH better syntax. Why not
> move up the expansion of shell functions ahead of builtins at
> the expense of not having recursive functions.

My main problem with SysV's version of Bourne Shell is that functions
don't stick around in a new invocation of the shell.  In Berkley a
.cshrc is executed when ever a new shell is involked keeping the alias
around.  Korn shell fixed that by providing an enviornment variable,
ENV which contains the name of a file to be executed whenever a new shell
is involked.  Also in Korn shell, he provides BOTH aliasing and functions.
Aliasing is faster, but functions are more complex.

--

			rob robertson		decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rob.UUCP
	 		(216) 791-0922			 cbosgd!nitrex!rob.UUCP