Network differences

Snoopy spw2562 at ritcv.UUCP
Sat Nov 30 05:00:36 AEST 1985

In article <560 at brl-sem.ARPA> ron at brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>BITNET:  BITNET is to the IBM world what UUCP is to the UNIX world.

Last I heard, 50%+ of the sites on BITNET where VMS ( and Unix? ).
VMS is typically interfaced via the JNET package, don't know if there are
other packages available.

>It also was a creature of neccessity.  Based upon an interprocessor
>spooling system called RSCS, the hardware involved is just a serial
>line and a couple of modems.  BITNET connections are pretty much dedicated
>links, and things are store and forwarded from host to host.

As I said earlier, BITNET uses leased lines, meaning totally dedicated.

>UNIX machines may be hooked up to BITNET by using the UREP package.

Also, BERK, and several other packages.

        Steve Wall [Snoopy] @ Rochester Institute of Technology
        USnail: 6675 Crosby Rd, Lockport, NY 14094, USA
        Usenet: ...!ritcv!spw2562                       Unix 4.2 BSD
        BITNET: SPW2562 at RITVAXC                         VAX/VMS 4.2
        Voice:  Yell "Hey Steve!"

    Disclaimer:  What I just said may or may not have anything to do
                 with what I was actually thinking...