Orphaned Response

berger at datacube.UUCP berger at datacube.UUCP
Mon Nov 11 06:46:00 AEST 1985

Sigh....

I  have  not  found anything  that can  compete with  the software on
HP-3000's.  Most of the unix packages are either not as complete, not
as well integrated, do not have the solid  user interface  and do not
have the depth of support.

Most of the unix packages are just loosly coupled programs, that have
been moved from other environments (RM-Cobol, strange BASIC's, etc).

You'd  think  by now  there would  be something  that is competitive.
What  does  ATT  use?   What  does Sun  use?   I know  one major Unix
super-mini vendor that uses ASK on an HP-3000!

MRP seems like the perfect application to run on under Unix with some
cool database like Unify or Ingress.  Why is it I can  find 2 million
compilers,  editors,  databases,  tools,  but  not  one high quality,
competitive manufacturing SYSTEM under unix?

I've  gotten  a  lot  of  responses, but  most have  had the problems
mentioned above (I will summerize shortly to the net).

At  this  point  because  we  are so  far along  in negotiations with
Computer Solutions with their GrowthPower MRP package on the HP-3000,
I can only follow up pointers to  Unix MRP  systems that  are know to
compete with packages of the GrowthPower and ASK class.  I would also
be interested in packages of that class that run on  Vaxen under VMS.
At least I can ethernet between VMS and Unix....

			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!berger
{mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!berger