(Summary) L.sys time field query re weekdays/weekend

Fred Christiansen fred at mot.UUCP
Wed Nov 27 05:29:38 AEST 1985

here's the original posting:

> according to the UUCP admin tutorial i have, the time field consists
> of a days-of-the-week AND times-of-day (range).  this would seem to
> suggest that the following are acceptable:
> 	Any			/* absolutely any time, any day */
> 	Wk1800-0800		/* weekdays, 6pm to 8am, only */
> 	MoWeFr0800-1800		/* fairly obvious by now */
> while these are not acceptable:
> 	1800-0800		/* any day, between 6pm and 8am */
> 	Never			/* this gets the effect i want, anyhow */
>
> what is not clear (due to narrow examples and limited explication) is
> if i can formulate time fields like these:
> 	MoWeFr1000-1800TuThSa1200-2300	/* for whatever bizarre reason */
> 	Wk1700-0800SaSu		/* weekday nights and anytime weekends */
>
> it is this latter formulation that i hope to use.  is this possible?
> we run System V R2 on a VAX-11/780.

here's a summary of responses:

only one individual was sure that Wk1700-0800SaSu would work since something
similar was working on his PE system (Edition 7?).  another individual suggested
actually working.  sorry, neither seems to work on our system.

quite a few folk indicated that 4.2 BSD-based systems permit the use of "|"
to separate time fields, ala Wk1700-0800|Sa|Su.  however, our System V does
not recognize this construction.

Peter Honeyman indicated that HoneyDanBer UUCP supports the use of "," to
separate time fields, ala Wk1700-0800,Sa,Su.  i'd be curious to know what
is used for the time/delay separator, since that is ","'s current use in Sys V.
whatever one's preference for separator characters, "," is a least usable.
there is some indication that HoneyDanBer may become the standard UUCP pkg
in some future Sys V release.

thanks to Geoff Kuenning and Fred Avolio for indicating that (evidently)
the only way to accomplish my goal in the current System V context, is
to have two separate lines, ala
	neighbor Wk1700-0800 <etc>
	neighbor SaSu <etc>

this is what we are now using at this site.  thanks to everyone!
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ