getopt(3) posting FLAME

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Tue Oct 22 10:43:21 AEST 1985

> > > ...  Of course, there is something AT&T could do--put the source code
> > > for the "real" getopt.c in the public domain.
> >
> > They already did that.
>
> They did?  Where can I get my copy?

In the paper "An Enhanced Getopt" by T.C. Jones & L.A. Kennedy
of AT&T Bell Labs, Summit NJ 07901.  If you can't get it from
the authors, stay tuned; someone at Seismo may post the code.

"The enhanced getopt(1) and getopt(3c) source code is being
published by AT&T Bell Laboratories to encourage adherence to
the command syntax standard and to satisfy requests from both
the /usr/group Standards Committee and our customers.  This
action is not a precedent since AT&T Bell Laboratories does
not plan on publishing any additional source code."

Incidentally, I strongly object to both the eventual enforcement
of rule 6 in getopt(3c), also enforced in the version that I
posted some time ago, and the change in behavior of getopt(1);
a DIFFERENT NAME such as getopts(1) should have been chosen, to
avoid breaking existing shell scripts that use the old getopt(1).