students editing output

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Sep 15 11:26:42 AEST 1985

> ...  There the (incorrect) output sits in a file, and all the
> professor wants is the output file printed on a terminal along with a listing.
> Who's to know if it is edited a little to change those incorrect numbers ...

The best solution is the non-technical one:  an alert marker.  I know that
when I did serious marking for the first time, I was startled at how easy
it was to spot this sort of thing.  Made me glad I'd never tried it...

(The closest I ever came was in an assignment where I'd gone a bit beyond
the specs and added an extra feature.  As submitted, none of my test data
used it.  I got docked a bit for incomplete testing, and the marker (who
was a friend) asked why I'd goofed up like this.  My reply was that it was
a simple last-minute mistake; the real reason was that the extra feature
had a subtle bug which I didn't have time to hunt down.)
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology