students editing output

luner at uwai.UUCP luner at uwai.UUCP
Sat Sep 14 03:21:44 AEST 1985

Stephen Hartley (hartley%uvm at csnet-relay) worries (and, I believe, not
without cause):

> ... students ... tailor[ing] their output with an editor to be more
> correct. What do other people do?

As an instructor, I view this as academic dishonesty. I would treat it
as equivalent to a reseacher faking experimental data. Depending on the
rules set down by your school/department/university this may be grounds
for:
	1. Failure in the course
	2. the big zero for the assignment
	3. academic probation
	4. expulsion

I make a point to tell my classes that the faking of results is a serious
breach of trust and will be dealt with severely. I emphasize that the programs
I ask them to write I have seen in many versions, both correct and incorrect
that they should not expect an error to slip by. [The truth of this depends
on exactly what language and what programs they're doing, but they don't
know that.]
					/David