rcs blows up on suns

Larry Campbell campbell at maynard.UUCP
Mon Sep 9 13:00:21 AEST 1985

> As I stated in my original reply, dereferencing zero is always
> a bad idea, even though it `works' (returns 0) on Vaxen.   So,
> it isn't Sun's fault per se, and I don't think RCS is really
> a supported product of Sun Microsystems... (anyone from Sun
> care to comment on this?).
> --
> Larry West				(USA+619-)452-6771
> UUCP:	{ucbvax,sdcrdcf,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!west
>   or	{sun,ulysses}!sdcsla!west

A minor point, but dereferencing zero only "works" on Vaxen that are
running Berkeley Unix (don't know about USG).  VMS sets page zero to
no access; this is one of the few areas where I concede VMS a point
over Unix.  It catches an all-too-common programming error.
--
Larry Campbell                     decvax!genrad
The Boston Software Works, Inc.                 \

ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp at harvard.arpa