Dumb question about uucp, in INFO-UNIX Digest V1#142

Jonathan E. Quist jeq at laidbak.UUCP
Mon Sep 2 15:25:48 AEST 1985

In article <1145 at brl-tgr.ARPA> stef%NMA at uci-icsa.ARPA writes:
>ATTEN: gww at aphasia.UUCP
>
>Your question is not as dumb as the problem with compiled-in machine names.
>Then I moved to an ALTOS-586 XENIX and it also has the machine name compiled
>into the uucp programs.  We solved the problem with a C program written to
>find and replace the compiled-in name string in the following binary programs.
>
>		 /bin/{mail*,rmail*,uucp*,uulog*,uux*}

If you opt for this solution (I've done it myself), be sure
that you use a machine name THE SAME LENGTH OR SHORTER than
the compiled-in name.  (I.e., it must be a null-terminated
string and must not overwrite the next string beyond it.)

jeq