rcs blows up on suns (NULL dereferencing)

John Bruner jdb at mordor.UUCP
Thu Sep 12 03:18:30 AEST 1985

In article <151 at maynard.UUCP> campbell at maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>A minor point, but dereferencing zero only "works" on Vaxen that are
>running Berkeley Unix (don't know about USG).  VMS sets page zero to
>no access; this is one of the few areas where I concede VMS a point
>over Unix.  It catches an all-too-common programming error.

I implemented an (optional) new object format with page 0 unmapped in
VAX 4.2BSD.  The changes to the kernel and a few user-level programs
(e.g. the linker) are minimal.  A program in this format (which I
call Z0MAGIC (0420) or -Z format) will receive a SIGBUS if it attempts
to indirect through NULL.  This has been very useful in finding
NULL-dereferencing bugs, both in locally-written code and in
distributed software.

I posted the set of changes to "net.unix-wizards" several months
ago.  If you missed them and would like a copy, mail me a note.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb at mordor [jdb at s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758