Setting TERM

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Sep 10 18:06:00 AEST 1985

> I would think that if all the terminals were ANSI standard you wouldn't need
> to find the terminal type, and you could throw termcap/terminfo out.

Nope.  I don't think the committee that did X3.64 expected all compliant
terminals to implement every single control sequence in the standard (there
are control sequences to tell a typesetter how to hyphenate, among other
things).  Being X3.64 compliant merely means that what control sequences you
*do* implement are the X3.64 ones, if there is an X3.64 version of the one
you want.  A very popular escape sequence on the VT100 sets up a subregion of
the screen as a scrolling region.  This is not in X3.64, so other X3.64
terminals need not implement it.  An X3.64 terminal need not implement, say,
the insert/delete line/character sequences, either.

	Guy Harris