Dumb question about uucp

Joe Chapman joe at emacs.uucp
Sun Sep 1 07:51:00 AEST 1985

<>

> [ Referring to a SysV-derived system ]
>     It seems to me that I read somewhere that the host name was compiled
> into the kernel under sysV, that seems dumb, and unbelievable (we don't
> have source).

You can poke around for the utsname structure (its format should be in
the documentation for uname(1) or uname(2)) with your favorite debugger
and change your hostname to whatever you'd like.

My favorite method is to Emacs up the kernel, and do a Query Replace on
the hostname---count those ^@'s right or you'll be in trouble.  Do this
casually while one of your colleagues is looking and become a legend in
your own time.

Of course, now I do ``emacs /dev/kmem'' instead of ps... :-)

--
-- Joseph Chapman                  decvax!cca!emacs!joe
   CCA Uniworks, Inc.              emacs!joe at cca-unix.ARPA