Xenix/Unix differences

Sarah Nunke sln at cosivax.UUCP
Wed Jan 1 05:40:05 AEST 1986

> I'm not sure where questions about Xenix should go.  Please
> excuse me if this is the wrong news group!

I don't know where these go either but I'm interested in this stuff too.

> Microsoft advertizes its Xenix 3.0 as being Unix System
> III compatible, but I am wondering exactly what they mean
> by that.....
> I assume that Microsoft's claims mean that all the system
> calls of Unix System III are available for programming,

That is basically what it means.  Microsoft apparently ported Version 7 and
rather than scrap that work and start over for System III, they made it look
like System III to the user.  Many companies have done this for thier upgrades
to System V from System III.  A good example is the Unisoft port that I have
seen on the Cromemco, NCR and other machines.

> I would appreciate any information people have about other
> differences between Xenix 3.n and System III, and also
> about differences between the new Xenix System V and Unix
> System V.  Replies will be summarized for the net.

I will write later about what I know about Xenix 3 when I get it all together,
but let me comment about Xenix System V.  It is, apparently, an all new
port so it should not be a System V built on the old Xenix.  I am very
interested in hearing from people who are beta testing the software.  I port
software for a living and getting burned when people claim a system is
one thing and I find out it is another underneath.

Sarah Nunke		      uucp:    ihnp4!cosivax!bugs!sln
COSI, Inc.
313 N. First St.	      Phone:  313-665-8778 (ofc)
Ann Arbor, MI 48103