rn again - seeing articles more than once

jpn at teddy.UUCP jpn at teddy.UUCP
Tue Jan 7 00:38:04 AEST 1986

** Replace this line with your MISinformation **

>>                                                     I got the impression
>>from reading net.announce.newusers that cross-posted articles were supposed
>>to be seen only once, but that doesn't happen with rn.  Am I wrong or IS
>Unfortunately, that's the way rn works.  If you're willing to give up
>rn's better features ...

I tried to restrain myself, I really did.  I sent mail to the original poster,
but this sort of mis-information keeps popping up on the net, and demands a
correction!

Rn will NOT show a proprly cross-posted article more than once IF IT IS
PROPERLY INSTALLED!!!!!   Rn comes with patches to "inews" which inserts
an Xref: line into each article - using this, Rn will NOT show you an article
more than ONCE!!!!  This algorithm is MUCH better than those used by vnews
or readnews.  Readnews maintains a list of inodes seen during the current
session (if you take multiple sessions to read your news, then you are screwed)
and vnews will show you the article in the first newsgroup that the article
was posted to that you also subscribe to (this fails miserably if you change
your subscription list often).

Rn will show the article, once, in the first newsgroup in which it is
encountered.