rename library routine in Microsoft C 3.0

Guido van Rossum guido at boring.UUCP
Thu Jan 16 03:51:41 AEST 1986

Today I was bitten by a difference in interpretation of rename's arguments
between my good old 4.2 BSD and the brand new (and otherwise GOOD!)
Microsoft C compiler (3.0).  BSD takes the first arg as the old file name
and renames it to the second arg; Microsoft's library does it the other way
around!
Could anyone (besides Jim Cottrell :-) argue who is wrong?
Lattice C (which used to be Microsoft C version 2.03) does it the BSD
way, but I believe this function was added after the version that
Microsoft sold was frozen.
What does system 5 do (if it has one of these routines)?
What does P1003 say about it?

PS: I prefer the BSD way because it mimics mv(1).  But I am willing
to trade my opinion for an established standard.

--
	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam (guido at mcvax.UUCP)