MRP / HP3000 to Unix Ethernet?

berger at datacube.UUCP berger at datacube.UUCP
Tue Jan 7 08:30:00 AEST 1986

This is really a request for info in ethernetting between  an HP 3000
and a Unix system (Pyramid) but first some backround:

You may remember my panic message a couple  of months  ago asking for
Manufacturing  Management  software  under  unix.   Well I  got a few
suggestions, and all the packages except one were lacking in quality,
support, reality, user friendliness, etc.  The one that stood out was
Minx from Minx Corp in Silicon Valley 415-969-6528 (John Messe).

This is a real MRP (Materials Requiremnets Planning)  package with an
excellent user i/f.  The folks  who started  it mostly  came from the
company that created ASK (Thats the MRP package that runs on HP 3000,
that many large companies  use, including  some of  our favorite Unix
Iron companies!)

But we didn't buy it!   Only because  our Controller  and Director of
Manufacturing  felt  that  Minx  corp  was only  2 years  old and the
product was only out for a year or so.  Since we are new to MRP, they
felt that  we need  to go  with someone  who has  a completely mature
product.  Also Minx was accross the continent  and Computer Solutions
(The folks who we ended up purchasing an MRP package  from) are right
down the road from us.  (Note  this should  NOT be  taken as knocking
MINX,  I  think  it  is  a great  package, we  have very conservitive
administrators).

So we have  ended up  with a  very good  MRP package  on a disgusting
dinasour of a computer running some weird operating system.  (The MRP
package  is  called Growth  Power and  is from  Computer Solutions, 1
Burlington Woods Burl, Ma 01803 617-229-2200 Richard Bonito).

Its an HP3000 model 44 for you detail  freaks.   It takes  up 3 times
more floor space than our lovely Pyramid computer and I expect it not
to come near it in power (It also  cost about  the same  with 1/2 the
RAM and 1/2 the Disk capacity).   They  actually use  HPIB to connect
the disks to the cpu!

So this gets to my question:
How can I connect my Pyramid running Unix (SysV and 4.2) via ethernet
(or IEEE 802.3) to the HP3000 so that I can have cool file transfer
and virtual terminal support from each computer?

The Pyramid supports TCP/IP and I think XNS.   I heard  a rumour that
HP will be supporting TCP/IP sometime soon.  (They supposedly support
IEEE 802.3 now).

Does  TCP/IP  support mean  that there  is file  transfer and virtual
terminal support?

Any help would be most appreciated!
			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!berger
{mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!berger