Kermit (Re: Communication between UNIX and IBM System 38?)

Dennis Bednar dennis at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Jan 7 02:02:32 AEST 1986

> In article <164 at oberon.UUCP> blarson at oberon.UUCP (Bob Larson) writes:
> >Although the kermit information in the article I am replying to is
> >(as far as I know) correct, I find it easier to get kermit and kermit
> >information via computer networks.
> >
> >Uucp: okstate has an anonymous login to distribute kermit.  I'll post details
> >if there is interest.
> >
> 	Yes please
> 		gareth

Heres the relevant information extracted from the file ckermi.ann,
(C-Kermit announcements).  Ckermi.ann was actually obtained from
okstate using the procedures described below:

The files are on CU20B as KER:CK*.*, available via anonymous FTP.  The file
CKERMI.DOC provides user-level documentation as well as a description of the
program organization and hints for adapting it to new systems.  Within several
days the files should also be available on BITNET via KERMSRV (to get started
with KERMSRV, type SMSG RSCS MSG CUVMA KERMSRV HELP), and to Unix systems via
UUCP from Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK.

Here's how to UUCP to OK State:

You need to set up "okstate" as a site in your "L.sys" UUCP dialing file
using the information listed below.  You can then issue the following
command on your system:

	uucp okstate\!/u/kermit/ck\* /usr/spool/uucppublic

   (this example will retrieve the new Unix version of Kermit)

The "/usr/spool/uucppublic" is chosen as the destination on your system since
the destination must be WIDE OPEN (drwxrwxrwx) to everyone.  You should
not remove files from your uucppublic until the entire transfer is complete
including any redials that are necessary.  If you do remove some files
our system may retransmit them, resulting in a higher phone bill for you.

-- UUCP Login information --

Site Name    :  okstate
Phone number :  (405) 624-6953  (one line only)
Login name   :  uucpker
Password     :  thefrog
Hours        :  10:00pm - 10:00am central time (7 day per week)
Problem      :  okstate!uucp-support  (UUCP)
  reports    :  uucp-support%okstate at csnet-relay  (ARPA)

The phone number is for 300/1200 baud (bell compatible).

--
Dennis Bednar	Computer Consoles Inc.	Reston VA	703-648-3300
{decvax,ihnp4,harpo,allegra}!seismo!rlgvax!dennis