Disturbing News re. DEC and UNIX

Tim Radzykewycz radzy at calma.UUCP
Thu Jan 2 04:04:44 AEST 1986

In article <177 at ecrcvax.UUCP> snoopy at ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) writes:
[Snoopy mentions that he is disturbed by an announcement that DEC
will support sysV on the VAX computers]

If I understand correctly, what DEC plans to do is provide a
*source level* system V compatibility.  Ultrix will continue
to be based on 4.X, but with enhancements which allow source
compatibility.  Of course, this means a new set of "compatibility"
libraries, a few new system calls, and a new compiler/assembler
flag.  They plan to follow the SVID (system V interface definition)
published by AT&T.

The reason for this plan seems to be that DEC predicts that future
serious work will have most products based on the AT&T version
of UN*X, and that most developers prefer bsd for software development.

disclaimer:
Please note that I am not employed by DEC and have only talked with
a few DEC personell.  I have neither the ability, nor the right
to give actual DEC company policy on this or any other matter.
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz, The Incredible Radical Cabbage.
	calma!radzy at ucbvax.ARPA