The Torch Triple X UNIX PC

S.J.Leviseur sjl at ukc.UUCP
Mon Jan 6 22:00:24 AEST 1986

The Torch Triple X is a very nice machine. We have had a demonstration
of it, so it is real. The version we saw was the final release machine
with the complete window manager. The response time is very good, to my
mind faster than the Sun2, and the whole machine seemed quite solid. The
user-interface is very simple, powerful, and is very intuitive. The display
is rock steady and very sharp. It uses a long persistence phospher Sony
monitor. There is a VME-bus connector for expansion.

The prices in the UK are (in sterling);

Torch (1Mbyte RAM, 20Mbyte winchester)	3995.00
10" Colour monitor			 699.00
13" Colour monitor			 799.00

Ethernet software and interface		 500.00
X25 software and interface		 500.00

The Torch has a 68010, but there is a 68020 plug-in upgrade due next year
for about 1000.00 pounds. There will also be a diskless workstation for
2000.00 - 2500.00 pounds.

The ethernet interface is tcp-ip with, as far as we could see, the
Berkeley plugs and sockets interface. We didn't get to try this out
though.

I have no connection with the company, but like what I have seen, and
think it is a very good produce.

	sean

	sjl at ukc