Calling f77 routines from C: HELP!

Jeffrey W Percival jwp at uwmacc.UUCP
Sat Jan 25 09:55:22 AEST 1986

This applies to 4.2BSD and Ultrix-32M v1.1:

I am trying to call a f77 subroutine from a C program,
and I find that the supposedly "preconnected" i/o units 5 and 6
are not connected.  That is, when I do a simple print in the
Fortran subroutine, like:

	print *, 'hi!'

I get an entry in a file called fort.6.  What makes this especially
unfortunate, is that this works fine in 2.8BSD, and we have found that
the C/f77 programs that we wrote under 2.8BSD are failing to run
as expected under Ultrix (for the reason just described).

Is there a way to preserve the "preconnections" advertised in the
f77 documentation?

I would very much appreciate any comments you can make on this.  Thanks!
--
	Jeff Percival ...!uwvax!uwmacc!jwp