Real-Time UN*X

daryl at MITRE-GATEWAY.arpa daryl at MITRE-GATEWAY.arpa
Sat Jul 12 00:01:42 AEST 1986

I missed the original request for information about the availability
of real-time UN*X facilities.  I don't know who to reply to directly so
I've posted this to the net in the hope that it gets where it is needed.

EMERGE Systems in Florida has a product called RTUX which runs either
co-resident with UN*X or as a stand-alone OS.  The product is currently
being used by many vendors and companies including General Motors Robotics
Division (GMS Robotics).

This is a multi-processor, multi-tasking, real-time,
message-driven system.  I designed and implemented the original
concepts on which the product is based before I left EMERGE in 1983.
The original version was used for a stand-alone distributed control system in a
Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) satellite communication network.
This project had very critical time constraints and required very fast
task switching.
William Bernett and Susan Hamilton have improved and re-written the
concepts into an off-the-shelf product.  RTUX has been ported to
several versions of UN*X.  The original version was written in M68000
assembler and PASCAL and ran on the VERSAbus VM02.  Current versions run
on MULTIbus and VMEbus also.

I have been out of contact with EMERGE and only recently had a short
telephone conversation with them and asked what became of the concepts.
He is sending me a current copy of the manuals and propaganda so I will
know more about it shortly.

If you are interested contact:
	Frank Aaron
	EMERGE Systems