Performance Monitoring

Phil Terrill philt at iscuva.UUCP
Fri Jul 18 04:24:03 AEST 1986

	I'm interested in some performance monitoring software, techinques,
or methods for a real-time Unix System V ( RTIX/DNIX ). I'm in the process
of essentially developing a real-time monitor of system activity using the
counters reported by the TIMEX command. These counters have been very
helpful in meeting some of system activity needs but still has left us a
little short in the areas of DMA contention, LAN usage, memory utilitization,
and disk ultilzation. After some disscussion with other people, I am aware
of the system specific needs that are not easily met. But I am convinced
that some have probrably faced this problem before and may have developed
some sort of 'system audit' programs that pertain to these areas.
	Our system configuration consists of a mutli-user microprocessor
based system on a local area network. Terminals will be linked over the LAN
to a 68000 based concentator which will be used primarly as a link to a host
system. Our system will be transaction based operation.
	Anyway, I'm paritcularly interested in supplemental software or
techinques discovered by other users facing a simular task. I'd also be
interested in any documentation pertaining to this area or even a further
discription of the counters provided through the TIMEX command. Your time
and response to this subject is greatly appreicated.

--
! II      CCCCCC !  Phil Terrill