backing up unix

Jim Thompson jim at moira.UUCP
Thu Jul 24 11:28:28 AEST 1986

[ Will this bug ever be fixed. ]

We here at Sun (The newspaper, not the computer company),
are looking for a file-system backup package.

Necessary features include:

	File level backup.  (This means no dump formats.)

	We have several very active filesystems.  Fear of
	a file 'changing' while dump is running precludes
	the use of dump (image) formats.  Tar is prefered,
	cpio if necessary.
	This can be considered the most necessary 'feature'.

	Post-backup validation of backup media.
	This is probably the second most important.

	Minimum operator intervention.
	Not that we have dim operators, but I'd rather not have
	them making important decissions.

	Media labeling and verification.
	Operators should not be able to mount the wrong tape.
	(See above)

	Restoration of either single files or whole file-systems.

	Multi-level backups.
	Analagous to dump[0-9]

	Should inform operator of which volume to mount.

Comercial products are ok.  Public domain stuff is ok too.

Please reply to:

Jim Thompson
2551 Green Valley Pkwy.
Handerson, Nv.
(702) 454-4636

-or-

{ihnp4,sdcrdcf}!otto!jim

--

					Jim Thompson

{ihnp4,sdcrdcf}!otto!jim

[ Usual disclamer:  I have no opinion, therefore I don't exist .]