BSD Support and Unix vs. VMS

ucscb.fiatlux at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU ucscb.fiatlux at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Jul 20 20:39:03 AEST 1986

Someone said that a university shouldn't be a software house. Why?
Also, why is BSD always considered the step-child of Unix? BSD Unix
is a damn good version of Unix. I like job-control, I like the new
tty driver, etc. I haven't used Sys V, but I have used version 7 and
that was bad enough for me. However, we replaced it with 2.9 for our
PDP's and now the system runs a lot better. I will stick with BSD
Unix for as long as I can. (then again, the school I go to is a
UC campus, so software support is a tad easier for us).

I have seen diganostic messages similar to the "who -bogus" example.
However the programs were written by users (mainly students) so they
knew the value of a good error message. But from what I've seen of
VMS' error messages (and the syntax for that matter) I like Unix
a lot better. Options seem easier to use and the command syntax
is a lot easier to understand.

But people, remember, each OS is appropiate for the application that
you are using it for. Each has it's problems, but each has it's
advantages. You use them as you see fit. It would be nice if they
could combine both of the OS' into a super OS, but I have a feeling
that would be a) a major undertaking and b) a pipe dream.

David Vangerov
UC Santa Cruz (Go Banana Slugs!!)
ucscc!ucscb.fiatlux at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU