Favorite operating systems query (UNIX vs VMS flaming!!!)

garry at batcomputer.UUCP garry at batcomputer.UUCP
Mon Jul 14 12:22:59 AEST 1986

In a recent article g-rh at cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) wrote:
>	I'm not a VMS guru but I know enough to know that this is all
>getting a little confused...
>mcr xyz arg1 arg2 arg3

There is ample confusion here already just explaining "foreign" and
"DCL table" commands -- you're not helping!!

(For those who want to know - "mcr" is a leftover from version 1 VMS.
 It was intended for use in running "compatibility mode" images. It
 DOES also happen to work on "native mode" images, but the defaulting
 is weird - "xyz" defaults to SYS$SYSTEM rather than the local directory.
 I would recommend using "foreign" definitions instead, especially for
 system utilities. Users of "mcr" should be suspected of being wizards.)
--
garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak at cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)