converting sh scripts to C code

John Woods, Software john at frog.UUCP
Thu Jul 3 02:51:00 AEST 1986

> >>No problem, I just plunk down $40000 dollars for a SVR2 source licence
> >I cannot speak for /bin/sh but however ksh (superset of Bourne, many bells
> >and whistles, almost as efficient as SysV Bourne) is available as source
> >for approximately $2000 (non AT&T sites)
> My understanding is that you STILL need a System V source licence to obtain
> ksh source for $2000 additional.  Thanks for nothing, AT&T.
>
>  John Nelson

I have here in front of me the "A Browser's Guide to the UNIX System
Toolchest", a piece of marketing handed out at a recent USENIX.  They don't
explicitly mention needing a System V source license, but they mention that
if you have a System V license (type unspecified), they'll waive the $100
registration fee -- therefore, I take it that no System V license of any kind
is needed to register to use the Toolchest, or to get tools.

ksh-i (the new International ksh, with 8-bit characters and zillions of bug
fixes) was made available a short time ago and it arrived here at CRDS
yesterday.  Cost for the new ksh-i is $3000.  They also have New Make for
$1200 (I believe, that is from memory).

The Toolchest seems to me to be a wonderful idea (though I wish they'd fix
their buggy display program...).

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc at MIT-XX.ARPA

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way.
This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
complaining."
			Jeff Raskin, interviewed in Doctor Dobb's Journal