4BSD is dead???

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Jun 10 16:49:40 AEST 1986

> >  What about a merger?  I work on a Masscomp system which is really pretty
> >  nice: they have this universe stuff in which both 4.2 & SysV system calls
> >  can be supported...
>
> ...As far as the system calls... what ever happened to the idea that you
> should do things once, right, instead of supporting every possible
> variation?

"What happened" is that people wrote code to use the 4.2 socket system
calls, or the S5 IPC system calls (to cite a couple of your favorite
bugbears), and those people aren't in a mood to change their code to use
some Wonderful New set of system calls which Do Things Right.  I agree that
there's a lot of crap in all current versions of UNIX (I'll bet there's even
some crap in V8 if you look hard enough) but I don't think you can abolish
it all by fiat.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)