DEC is no worse than anyone else - Apology

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sun Jun 22 05:55:30 AEST 1986

In article <668 at scc.UUCP>, steiny at scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:
>	I am sorry that I got mad at ULTRIX.   I lost a $75,000.00
>contract because my software, which allegedly worked or 4.2 (it does)
>did not work on ULTRIX.  The reason it did not work is because
>the acct data structure had several fields that were "comp_t"
>on UNIX were "float" on ULTRIX.   I have been informed that
>from one version of ULTRIX to the next it also changes.     End
>users believe what DEC says.   WE believed DEC, and we were naive
>enough to believe that ULTRIX was 4.2.   Now I am going to have
>to eat rice for a while.
>
>	ULTRIX is no worse than anyone else.   HP has a very good
>UNIX that is "system V compatible" that has the 4.2 file system.
>--
>scc!steiny
>Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software
>109 Torrey Pine Terrace
>Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060
>(408) 425-0382

What are you apologizing for?  If we are to believe what you say, DEC
screwed you royally by misleading you about the guts of Ultrix.  THEY
owe their users an apology if this is so, not vice versa.  "No worse
than anybody else" my foot....

(Why couldn't your code be easily patched to account for the ULTRIX dif-
ferences, however?  I presume that if it could have been it would have
been.)
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy